Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pilot

Hello! My name is Aminah Diab. You can call me Aminah. If that’s too long, feel free to call me Min. I’m a first year student in FASS with hopes of majoring in sociology. Although I will be turning 20 this year, I still like to believe that I am just turning eighteen, again.
People often remember me from my distinct curly hair! If you are wondering, yes it is natural. I am a friendly person so feel free to approach me. And say “Hi!” to me anytime. I like laughing, A LOT. I also enjoy playing games of any kind. I enjoy travelling and would love to travel to more places in the future.
What pushed me into taking this writing module is my interest in the relationship between genders. Gender stereotypes never fail to amaze me. I myself succumb to such stereotypes. For instance, I love looking at shoes. I like dresses and skirts. I like flowers, ribbons and the list goes on. Then there are some stereotypes I fail to meet. I am not very neat and I don’t really fancy teddy bears although I do find them cute. We all know that stereotypes are over-generalisations but yet, they are used to reflect characteristics of a certain group. Through this module, I hope to improve both my reading and writing skills while learning more about the differences (or maybe even similarities) or the 2 main genders.
One of the things I like to do when I am on the internet is to browse through Youtube videos. And I find these next two videos fit perfectly under the course title. Enjoy! 
(sorry, cant seem to be able to put the video here)
Anyways, I watched this video before watching the series and it really made me laugh. It really shows the difference in how women talk with each other as compared to how men talk to each other. Women are more detailed and tend to analyse every action as though each little action or gesture has a meaning. On the other hand, such details are insignificant to men. The character Ross obviously did not bother to explain "The kiss" and even his friends did not care much of details. 
This to me may be a contributing factor to miscommunication between men and women. Women tend to be able to go on and on about one thing where men have already lost interest in the topic. This brings me to the next clip I want to share. :)
Make sure you watch the whole 33 seconds!!

Another clip that tickles my funny bone every time I watch it. My question is, to all male species, is this REALLY true?

3 comments:

  1. Wow you chose the same Friends clip as me!
    Anyway the second one is REALLY funny! It is definitely exaggerated: the wife/girlfriend/mother will never allow the man to reply only "uh-hum". I would think this clip shows more of men's hope rather than reality. They definitely hope they can just do "uh-hum" or even ask their friends to hold the phone for them.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think guys do get away with it sometimes! :P sometimes when my female friends chatter away, you do kind of zone off somewhere in the middle :S i mean we're only human (: but yeah, guys run out of replies after a while and we all need to learn to listen in order to allow that communication to get through :P

    - Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the comments

    hey qiao li. yes I agree that this is an exaggeration. It is interesting that you mention this reflects men's hope. Maybe if women didnt mind getting just "uh-hum" as a response men really would do this!! hehe.

    Hello Jon. Are you guilty of this? hahah. But yes, once in a while people being human do tend to get lost in lengthy conversation.

    ReplyDelete